Our Family

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Shelter Sunday!!!!

This week was my first No Friday at The Shelter week and I was CRUSHED!!!! Yes CRUSHED!!!! However, a different day is better than no day at all so Sunday was my morning with the pups!!!!

I headed to the shelter to see who was new and who was still there. This was my first Sunday there...they are closed to the public til noon and I was really curious about how many other volunteers would be there.

I started my day with Fletcher. He was this sweet sweet yellow lab looking boy who just had the perfect amount of happy energy and was a great little boy. I loved meeting him, and walking him and talking to him.

Then there was Buddy. Buddy was right next to Fletcher and just had this look "Please Take Me, Please Take Me," so I did. Buddy is a kisser let me tell you. I got more kisses from that dog than all the dogs combined. He had this quick little tongue and he loved giving kisses. He would pull me to a bench just to kiss. He was adorable.

Then I went and hunted down Izzie who I had met previously but not walked. Izzie was great but nothing like I thought. She was a not focused on human dog. She wanted to hunt and chase birds and just run free. She would make a good farm dog.


Then I skipped over a few and grabbed Cola. Cola was absolutely nuts last time and I felt that I was up for a challenge. Cola has the most beautiful eyes and was so awesome and sweet whenever we stopped at a bench. She was still a bit crazy but definitely better than last week. She loves to roll over and roll in the grass and roll down the hill. It makes for a interesting walk to say the least. But I think she is great and she is full of energy. She will make someone a great pet.


Then I went to grab Hardy...When I got him out he was great and full of life and not his usual self. I kept talking to him telling him how proud I was and how much he had come out of his shell....remember this...and I will come back to Hardy.

 
Hardy                                                   Laurel


I didn't feel I was up for the challenge of Laurel, Hardy's brother so I grabbed Cucumber. Cucumber did great. I was a little nervous because I know last week he got pretty agitated with being the last dog and Mable got her all worked up. But Cucumber did great!


Then I grabbed Laurel who didn't want to go and the minute we got outside he pulled me back to the door. I tried to change his mind but he was not having it. So I put him back in his kennel. Then I looked at the two brothers side by side Laurel and Hardy and thought this is odd their personalities are opposite today...I took a look at their weight and was convinced they had been switched. I let an employee know and sure enough they had! Glad we got that worked out.


 
  Laurel                                                   Hardy                                                 


Then I grabbed sweet Minnie before heading to the back row. Minnie is just beautiful and I hate that she is still at the shelter. She is really into outside and loves to hunt I hope she gets to spend her days outside in her family's yard soon...she would love that!


Then I headed to the back all the way to the back and passed by my sweet Jack and promised I would grab him soon...I met a new sweet as can be pup Angel Rosie and an angel she was. She was the perfect size and so cuddly and lovey...she was just great. I was so happy to meet her today.


Then I grabbed Chuck who is a hound and he did great he didn't pull too much but he enjoyed his time outside. You never know with the hounds if they are even gonna care you are there or not.

Then I grabbed another knew to me girl...Susie. She was this medium sized cattle herding sheep dog looking thing. Grey and Black and was just awesome. She was a great size too and I was really happy to meet her today.

As the time was now noon lots of volunteers and possible adopters started to roll in. I knew they would grabbed the few I hadn't made it to yet...but I wanted to get in just a little bit of time with Jack before I left or someone else grabbed in so Jack and I had some good quality time together too.

The whole time I was walking dogs Sweet Bear was outside in a Kennel. He looked so sad I almost went in a visited him a few times but they put another dog in there with him so I left him alone. He seemed so jealous of the one on one attention the other dogs were getting that he wasn't even enjoying his outside time. I love Bear, I think he is great. I hope someone comes along soon for him!


The kennel area really became busy so I headed up front assuming that sweet Katie and Waldo were up there and they were. I had to help clean up there rooms a little bit...but I spent a little time with each of them and let them know how great they are and how much I love them. Hope they go home soon!!!



Sundays at the shelter are a little different. I like that it isn't open to the public til noon cause it did get quite busy. It is more of a time sacrifice cause going on Sundays means I'm leaving James, but luckily he doesn't mind and hopefully I can go back to Fridays soon. However, once the Marathon and our vacation is over a commitment on Sunday will be a little easier to manage. 




No comments: